Thursday, August 11, 2011

Suzy Sooyoung releases "Freedom"




A week ago AKF told you that singer Suzy Sooyoung would be releasing her second single album "Freedom", and now it's here!

The two-track album not only comes with Suzy's new single "Freedom", but also an exclusive b-side titled "Mouth Stains".

Speaking exclusively to AKF, Suzy says, "Freedom is a self-empowerment anthem with a strong message about letting go of your insecurities and being an individual. It's a celebration of life and self-expression, and I worked hard to ensure that listeners will instantly feel a sense of liberation and freedom when they hear it."

"I wrote most of the lyrics myself, which I'm very proud of because not many other idols write their own material. I also worked with top British producer Wayne Wilkins, who crafted the song's unique beat. He produced Cheryl Cole's two albums, so I knew I was in good hands. It was Wayne's idea to use the underground genre of dubstep in the song's production, which I think gives "Freedom" it's own special color."

You can listen to "Freedom" below.



Immediately after its premiere, netizens flocked to our forums to give their thoughts on "Freedom", with many having vastly different opinions on the new song.

"Suzy used to be so different to other idols, but this song just sounds like typical American pop", "I'm so proud of Suzy for working with a big foreign producer, it means hallyu is spreading", and "This song is so hot, I love the dubstep and the positive message because it reminds me of my favorite singer Jessie J."

While the song has received a mixed reaction so far, it's nothing compared to the official artwork, which has already caused an online frenzy due to Suzy's explicit nudity. When AKF tried to ask Suzy about the cover, White Entertainment co-CEO KellyRose Spires quickly stepped in to take over the question.

"The song is about being liberated and free, so Suzy felt that the artwork should reflect that," said KellyRose. "There is nothing more liberating than being without your material possessions, so we shot Suzy in her natural form while riding a Pegasus, which is a mythological creature that represents purity and freedom. The photo was shot tastefully and artistically, so there shouldn't be any controversy, but to avoid any potential problems with the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, we've censored the artwork in the appropriate places."

"At the end of the day, Suzy has always been known for her artistic streak, and this is just another way for her to express herself while making a bold statement."

KellyRose's explanation hasn't done much to calm netizens, who have expressed their outrage and disgust over the cover being released.

"They have not censored this enough, she's still naked to me", "You call this art? To me it seems like an excuse for another White artist to take off their clothes", and "They say sex sells, but I don't think I'll be buying this one."

With such strong opinions surrounding Suzy's comeback, it will be interesting to see how she does on the charts! Will you be supporting the single?

No comments:

Post a Comment