Thursday, July 5, 2012

Suzy Sooyoung stuns netizens with stylish transformation in V Magazine!

Suzy strikes a bold pose for V's Summer issue

Suzy Sooyoung graces the cover of the Summer issue of V Magazine to promote her hit new docu-drama series, Idol Investigations. The former wild child particpated in a glamorous photoshoot for the popular fashion mag, making a shock 180-degree transformation from her former sexy image into a stylish and fashionable city girl, as well as voicing her controversial opinions in an accompanying interview for the mag.

Check out the interview and photoshoot below via V Magazine's official website.


"Music is music. Pop is pop. I hate when people mix them up. I do music," proclaims Suzy Sooyoung as we sit down to talk about her new reality TV show, Idol Investigations.

One look at the singer's small-but-solid back catalog reveals a woman who doesn't like to be pinned down to one style. Whether she's doing girl group pop with Girls' Revolution, recording an album of folky Christmas covers, diving into alternative music with her autobiographical single "Rehab", or dabbling in dubstep with her Chinese chart-topper "Freedom", Suzy is someone who refuses to be pigeonholed.

"Growing up in Beijing made it hard to be exposed to diverse forms of music," reveals Suzy as she recalls growing up in the notoriously conservative China. "But me and my friends would skip school and perform in tiny skirts at the Botanical Gardens, and then we'd use the money to import the latest albums from indie rock bands like Coldplay and Train. It was a very rebellious thing to do, but that's just my nature."


Despite admitting that she was "completely out of control" not long ago, Suzy says that she's recovered now. Well, sort of.

"I was doing so well after my stint in rehab, but the loss of Tiffany really hit me hard and caused me to relapse for a brief moment," she says, reflecting on the disappearance of her beloved bandmate. "Tiffany was very wise. She predicted her own disappearance, because she often complained about her looks and how being so beautiful brought her many hardships, and then look what happened. I believe she was psychic, so now I am making sure I follow everything she used to say when she was alive, like the time she pushed me into a mirror and screamed at me to get sober or she would have me fired from White Entertainment again."

Suzy still believes her bandmate is alive. It was 2 months ago when the Korean Police decided to call off their search for the starlet, leaving Suzy with no choice: she aquired her private investigation license through a one week course online, and opened her own detective agency to track down her missing friend. Idol Investigations was born, and thanks to a television deal with the struggling jTCB network, the rest of the world can now follow Suzy and her expert team of celebrity investigators as they try to solve the mystery of Tiffany Tayeon's disappearance.

V: Hi Suzy, how are you feeling today?

S: Not sure, you tell me. [Puffs cigerette]


V: Well, it's a beautiful sunny day and we're having a tasty breakfast at your favorite Café...


S: Exactly. Breakfast at 8am...... I'm not a morning person! And it doesn't help that I was up all night filming.

[Note: V notices the smell of stale alcohol on Suzy's breathe]

V: I'm sorry, please enjoy your coffee and these croissants. Good food always helps after a big night.

S: [Takes a bite] Delicious! Am I paying for these?

V: No. We pay for them.

S: Thank God! [Screams at waiter: "Bring me five more of these!"]

After Suzy finishes devouring her food and feeding croissants to her chihuahua, FiFi, she decides that she's ready to start the interview.

V: Firstly, congratulations on the success of Idol Investigations. It's been a ratings winner.

S: Thank you. I knew that this show would be amazing. It's very raw and emotional.  In one scene I am crying because I miss Tiffany, and in another I am crying because Sunhwa used too much Femme Fresh and the aroma went in my eyes and made them sting.

V: Yes, Femme Fresh. One of the complaints about the first episode was that there seemed to be a lot of forced product placement in the show.

S: I don't know what you're talking about, but if there was such a thing, it's because jTCB is a smaller network and needs to find ways to fund the show's budget. But any products you see in the show is just a coincidence, since Idol Investigations is pure 100% reality and these things can't be avoided.

V: But what about the scene when Boram was watching T-ara's Wild Roses CF on her laptop, and the camera zoomed into the screen, and then everybody in the office started talking about their favorite Wild Roses products?

S: That was just a natural thing that happened. Wild Roses is a great brand that offers a variety of comfortable outdoor wear at an affordable price. They're definitely my first choice when I get sent to investigate clues in the wilderness, and need a stylish outfit that will keep me looking fashionable while also helping me brave nature's elements. Please visit www.wildroses.ch now and you can purchase a pair of ski boots and thermal underwear for half the regularly recommended retail price, but they're only available while stocks last.


V: No thanks. So, tell me more about Idol Investigations. What do you do exactly?

S: It all starts back in Seoul at our offices. We have a special telephone line dedicated to anonymous reports, saying they think they saw Tiff here or there. That's Sunhwa's job. Then she usually calls Janghyun when she gets a hot tip and he notes everything down, because you can bet that three seconds later Sunhwa will have forgotten about it. Meanwhile I'm shopping or playing Angry Birds.

V: I thought you would do a lot more...

S: Oh, I do! I'm the star after all! I just hate having to be worried with these small things, and prefer to let the producers or whoever handle all that stuff. I will come to the office in the afternoon and then Janghyun or Sunhwa will tell me what we're supposed to do that episode. Then I'll go and investigate whatever they want me to do, and I bring back any evidence I find for Boram to analyze in the lab.

V: Producers? So it's not really reality, then? It sounds scripted to me.

S: It's all real! The producers just help with certain things, but Boram gets all the hot tips and then lets me know where I have to go to find Tiffany.

V: I thought you said Sunhwa did that, not Boram.

S: This is ridiculous! I haven't slept much and I'm getting things mixed up. Please move on to next question.

V: Okay. Well, do you feel afraid to visit these dangerous places with nothing but a red trench coat and fishnet stockings on? It seems a strange thing for an investigator to wear.

S: The reason why I dont have underwear is because it makes it easier when I need to escape any peril or danger. If I have too many clothes on it will hinder me. In an upcoming episode I get chased by a wild animal and have to rip off my coat to run faster. Please anticipate it.

V: I definitely will. One of the biggest mysteries of Idol Investigations so far has been the identity of the mysterious person driving the car in episode 1. Can you give us a clue as to who it is?

S: How would I know who it is? You'll know when I do. This is a reality show, not some scripted soap like The Seven of Us or Busan Heights.

V: Speaking of those two shows, do you worry about competeting against your bandmates? Jessica's The Seven of Us was critically-acclaimed, and Tiffany's Busan Heights is one of the highest-rated soap operas in Korea. Some might say a show on jTCB could never match that success.

S: I'm not concerned with those things. You know, those shows are very typical. Idol Investigations is more of a unique and groundbreaking type of thing that hasn't been done before, so I would rather do that than do what everybody else is doing.

V: That's refreshing to hear.

S: I know right. The reaction from my Su-Witches has been the best thing. This whole experience is so rich that it has inspiring me to write new songs.


V: When will we get to hear new material from you?

S: You never know with me. I'm very temperamental about my musical decisions. It doesn't help matters that White's budget all goes to Jessica Jiyeon. It's hard but I will have to live with it.

V: I'm sure you have something in works but you want to keep it a mystery.

S: Maybe. Maybe not. Right now I'm very dedicated to TV. I would love to release some kind of OST for the show, though. But firstly I think I would like to release a Chinese album, and a special mixtape for Korea -- just to get rid of some of my old demos. They sound dated now, but most of them are really personal. I wrote one song about how Trina is a mother figure to Tiffany, and KellyRose is a mother to Jessica, but I have nobody. I called HyunA Knowles "ma-ma" once in a baby voice and stretched out my arms for her to pick me up like I was a little child, but she told me to stop because it made her feel uncomfortable. It was really awkward.

V:  How sad. Anyway, can we see what's on your iPod right now?

S: Well... [pauses]. I like to listen to music from White Entertainment artists, like HyunA Knowles, Tiffany Taeyeon, and Jessica Jiyeon.

V: Anyone else?

S: Yes! I love INFINITE and CHI-CHI, but I mostly play alternative singer-songwriter type artists, like Busker Busker, Carly Rae Jepson, and Maroon 5. I also found Girlicious' Rebuilt album in HyunA Knowles bedroom, but I don't like it because I think they ripped off Girls' Revolution. And yesterday I heard this new British singer called Jessie J on the radio, but I don't think she's as good as Korea's Jessie J, Jessica Jiyeon.

V: Such interesting choices.

S: Yes. Please buy Jessie Ji's Book of Love album from Soribada. It's catchy with amazing melodies. And Tiffany's Friday Night Fever, too, as I will be promoting the single "Do Da Disco" soon with some of my stunning live stage performances.

V:  Now changing subjects. Netizens have been wondering all year: Has Suzy settled and made INFINITE's Hoya her boyfriend?

S: [Laughs] I knew this was coming. But I couldn't tell anything even if I wanted. The agencies tell me to keep quiet on those things because my reputation will bring bad publicity to other idols.

V: But photos published in K-Scandal magazine showed you leaving INFINITE's dorm at 5am in the morning...

S: I was just bringing the boys a cherry tart to celebrate their Triple Crown win. When they were finished eating my sweet cherry, they licked their fingers clean and asked for more, so I gave them another taste.


V: Oh my. Moving on... How did you find the V shoot with famous photographer Suyeon Yun.

S: He definitely doesn't know how to make a woman look good. He chose such bad angles. I had to personally select all the photos myself to make sure you wouldn't publish bad pics of me. I learned that from Tiffany.

V: That's a bit rude. Suyeon Yun is a professional.

S: Well I didn't like the angles he chose, okay? But I loved my designer Yves Saint Laurent dress, and my stunning heels that I took from Trina's closet.

V: Okay. So, any final words for the readers?

S: I hope you enjoy my pictures and tape them to your bedroom wall so I can be a Suzy Sooyoung that is a true idol. Also please support Idol Investigations. It's the realest show on TV right now. You don't want to miss it, believe me.

You can download and view Suzy's full V Magazine photo spread by clicking here.

Comments from Netizens included, "I still don't believe Idol Investigations is scripted. It's definitely 1000% real, just like We Got Married.", "Suzy's new look is better than the tacky fashions she used to wear", and "I liked Suzy's Playboy much better than this. Zzzz."

No comments:

Post a Comment